Staff Voices: Happy Holidays from Hi-Hills December 23, 2013
The holidays are always a magical and exciting time of year. Hi-Hills Day Camp provides me with those same feelings come summer time. I’m really looking forward to this coming year with the Hi-Hills Community. To give us all a taste of the summer while spreading some holiday cheer, let’s stop and smell the chestnuts roasting over an open fire, the holiday ham, grandma’s fruit cake, fragrant Christmas trees, and those holiday cookies that are everywhere.
Some of our fondest memories take place in and around the kitchen, sharing special meals and treats. This prompted me to think of the moments spent with my own children, when it was still easy to carry them both in my arms and make their favorites. The holiday sugar cookie is a great traditional treat and can be handled by the hands of grandchildren to grandparents. The recipe is simple, the decorations are fun and the forms they take are limitless.
Below is the recipe I used for my children or you can ask grandma for hers to share with you that you can pass onto later generations.
Spend time with family and friends creating these wonderful holiday cookies and memories that will last a lifetime. Feel free to send pictures of your creations that can be posted and shared with rest of the Hi-Hills community.
Enjoy these holiday moments and have a Happy New Year.
Brian Gary, Activities Specialist – Arts and Crafts
Brian’s Sugar Cookie
- Sifted, all-purpose flour (4 cups)
- Baking Powder (2 tsp.)
- Sugar (1 ½ cups)
- Eggs (2)
- Butter (¾ of a cup)
- Vanilla Extract (2 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Stir flour and baking powder into a bowl
- Beat butter and sugar (until fluffy), then add eggs and vanilla
- Combine and stir the flour and baking powder bowl with the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla bowl
- Will form a stiff dough
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface
- Cut into shapes (1/4 thick)
- Pick your favorite cookie cutter for this part
- Place onto a lightly greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Rotate on the 5th minute
- Once cooled, Enjoy!